We were using a license generator application. It used to generate key for an T&A software. I had access to the application, I didn’t have access to the database. So, I created one. This post is about that.
Here are the list of files (dependencies), icon and the application for generating license. There was no database.
It is clear that the there should be a database called ‘ValTimeLicense” in order for the software to work.
Upon opening LicenseApplication and entering details including vendor key (which can be obtained once the attendance software is installed), as expected I got an error “ValTimeLicense” database doesn’t exist. The solution lies inside the error (Create an empty database).
I created a database with the name ‘ValTimeLicense” and entered the details and clicked generate. There was another error, there were no tables in the database. Databases are useless without table(s). The error meant there was no table named “LicenseMaster”.
I created a table with a temp variable with a random datatype to see what happens next.
Again, I entered the details and clicked on generate. There was one missing column “ProcessorID” on the table. Upon clicking OK, there were few more missing columns. “ReaderQty”, “EmployeesQty”, “ProcessorID”, “VolumeID”, “Expdate”
There was list of column names, I was not sure on the datatypes. Upon checking the T&A Software (not the license generator) database and considered a table (employeemaster) in it, almost all the columns have varchar(max) datatype, [maybe a poor database design] and there were few columns with date datatype and few others.
I figured out all the columns have varchar(max) datatype except “Expdate” which has date datatype. (I deleted temp column)
Again I entered the details and clicked on Generate. Voila! I got the license key.
Hope the technique used will help you, if you are facing any situations like the above.
Thanks for reading.